Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Just when I think things are looking up...

The poor baby! The past couple of days have been pretty rough. Monday, everything seemed pretty normal. Not too productive of a day, but no biggie. Yesterday, things weren't so good.

It started out early in the morning. Taran was getting ready for work an in a half asleep stupor, I heard what I thought was Noah spitting up. I cleaned it up with a handy spit rag and went back to sleep. When it was time for me to get up for my yoga class, I got up and started getting dressed. I heard a weird sound of spitting up, but not quite and went to find Noah, not spitting up, but throwing up. As in projectile. Poor little man. I handed him over to Taran briefly so that I could clean up the mess, then cleaned up the baby. Noah was looking pale and his lips a bit blue. Luckily, his color returned. Taran had to head to work and I figured I'd be skipping yoga that morning. The next couple of hours seemed uneventful, Noah was playing while I ate breakfast and tried to get laundry going cleaning the sheets and whatnot. I set Noah in his bouncy seat and hopped in the shower. Just as I was finishing up, he started vomiting again. Poor little guy. Looked pale again.

A few hours go by and nothing really exciting happened. I worked on cleaning up the house some and continued running laundry. Amanda texted me to make sure that it was still ok for her to come over to work on the diaper cake she was making. She wanted to head over after lunch, after he little one woke up from his nap. Since Noah seemed to be doing fine, a bit less active than normal, but otherwise fine, I told her it was ok. More of the same for the next several hours. Noah seemed to be holding down the few nursings that he had in the morning.

Amanda arrived and we got to work. We checked out a few examples of diaper cakes I had made, some from the web, and some from someone she knew for inspiration. Then we got to work. It took us a few tries to figure out what size we were going for and how many diapers we were going to use. After we had the main structure up (3 tiers) we started decorating. She had a few Longhorn items (I told her after seeing that I shouldn't be supporting this endeavor), some pacifiers, and some booties. It took us a bit to figure out how to incorporate the ribbon she had with the items and create a put together look, but we worked it out. She asked if it typically takes me that long to figure out how I'm going to get it all put together. I let her know it does, but that I try to get inspiration from the baby registry and that really helps me to come up with an overall idea even if I'm not able to incorporate some registry items.  As we worked, the little ones were having fun. Amanda's one-year old Joshua was having a blast with the dog and the dog food bowl. Noah and Joshua enjoyed playing with each other or by each other. For the most part, they were able to keep themselves occupied while we worked. We managed to get the diaper cake mostly done. It needed a few finishing touches. Amanda was going to go pick up the extra items and finish it all before the shower this weekend. I wish I had gotten pictures, but I was afraid I'd be taking credit, so I just left it alone.

She headed out and I was able to nurse Noah to sleep and he went down for a nap. I got a call from my friend George, just catching up and we chatted for a while. Taran came home and I got dinner ready. Noah awakened in time to eat with us. I prepared for him some boiled chicken and rice hoping it would be easy on his stomach. He didn't seem to eat much, but that didn't really surprise me.

On our walk to the get the mail, Noah seemed almost like himself. He wanted to explore and watch the neighbor kids shoot hoops. We headed back home stopping to talk to a neighbor who was out walking his dogs and he told me his wife is pregnant with twins! How exciting! Our visit was cut a bit short as Noah threw up a small amount. I thought it was over, but apparently, I was wrong.We went to bed early for us, but a bit late for Noah. At around quarter to one, I was awakened by Noah throwing up again, copious amounts this time. he made a big mess all over. I cleaned it up, changed him, and we settled back into bed. This morning he awakened again around 6:30 and vomited some more, not as much this time.

I took him in to the pediatrician today. Our regular doctor was at another office so we saw a new doctor. He suspects that Noah has viral gastroenteritis, meaning nothing can really be done. He told me normally these things pass in 2-4 days. I just need to make sure that Noah stays hydrated.

So that has been our past couple of days. Noah hasn't vomited any more today. I hope he continues to do better. Tomorrow, another mom friend, Cassidy is having a sewing day at her house. I'm just hoping that Noah continues to get back to his normal self so we can go. Until then, I'll just be tending to him, trying to make him feel better.

1 comment:

  1. I hope you feel better Noah! It can't be fun not feeling well!

    ReplyDelete