Thursday, August 12, 2010

A good report

Today Noah had his recheck appointment at the ENT. It basically was the main activity of the day and it was over before it was supposed to begin. Good news all around, everything looks good and assuming things stay the same, we won't have to go back for another 6 months.

In other news, Noah officially has 4 more teeth. Yep, that's right. All at the same time. He did not read the manual when it comes to growing teeth. I noticed a few days ago that you could see a bit of white under his gums on the top and today I took a peek in his mouth to see how they were progressing and what do you know two upper molars (the 15 month molars) and two upper canines (or cuspids, or eye teeth) had broken through the gingiva. Now, they aren't all the way in and the molars still have some of their surface covered with gingiva, but they are well on their way through. On the bottom, the matching four are working their way out (you can see them right under the gumline), but they are taking their sweet little time, considering the location of the left side molar has been large and swollen for about 5-6 weeks now.

I did somehow find time to complete a small little project. My first diaper cake made with cloth diapers! I had a couple of the moms in my mommy group ask me about making them with cloth diapers and I wasn't too sure about it. I figured it would work, but due to the differences in sizes (cloth is bulkier) I wasn't sure how many I'd need. I used some of Noah's burp rags that are basically re-purposed prefold cloth diapers and rolled them like I would the disposables. I then used another burp rag of his to wrap around and then applied a duck and teethers for decoration. I did the whole decorative ribbon thing because even though I was just seeing how it would work, I figured I could take a pic and get the full effect. Also, that way, I can add it to my website. Though I obviously can't sell it, what with used materials, it gave me and idea of how it would work out. The biggest problem with doing this type of cake is that the bigger they get, the more cost prohibitive they can be. A disposable diaper costs about $.15 whereas a cloth diaper can cost $1-$2 depending on size. In a multiple tier cake, it would make sense to have each layer a different size of diaper (since a cloth diapering mom will reuse and therefore not need as many of each size). The overall cost could potentially skyrocket if the diapers aren't purchased for a really low discount rate. There is still detail to figure out, but a cloth diaper diaper cake has every potential to turn out just as cute and be just as usable as a regular one!

Aside from that, our day was long and eventful. Yoga this morning was not very challenging. Noah spent most of the day playing. He didn't nap. It was bad. At least he didn't get terribly cranky until this evening and by that time, no way was I going to put him down. I'd wait until bed time.

For the first time in four days, he went down at a normal time. His naps were in the afternoons this week, none in the morning, and for some reason, he wouldn't go down at his bed time. He'd act all tired and even fall asleep, but as soon as he was put down, he was up and wouldn't go down for another hour to hour and a half. It was so frustrating. I'm not sure if it's the teething that has him all off, that is the most likely scenario, but I'm glad he's gone to bed at a reasonable hour tonight. I have no expectations for tomorrow. My life can't be that easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment